Customer Service Representative
A customer service representative (CSR) is an entry-level position that provides high quality customer care. This is a high performance, customer-focused position that responds to a wide variety of incoming calls. They use effective listening and positive communication to resolve customer needs and concerns while managing any conflicts that may arise. The career path is full of potential. The possibilities are endless.
Also known as: Member Services Representative, Account Representative, Customer Care Representative, Customer Support, Client Services Representative
$38,260 in 2021 in WA
$36,920 in 2021 in U.S.
High School Diploma
9,220 through 2030 in WA
389,400 through 2031 in U.S.
As an entry-level position the career path for a customer service representative can vary greatly. They can move into a billing representative position, up to an accounts receivable specialist, to an accounting manager. They can also follow the path of a quality assurance specialist, to trainer/team leader, to customer service manager. They also have the option to move into an apprenticeship, become a journey-level worker, and up to a foreman.
Training & Requirements
CSR’s typically need a high school diploma with no degree or certificate required by most companies. It is preferred to have between 1-5 years of customer service experience, depending on the employer, and be proficient with technology and MS Office. Short-term on-the-job training is provided by the company.
- Excellent customer service
- Proficient with MS Office and Outlook
- Comfortable learning new computer systems
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Problem solving
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and effectively manage time
- Respond to billing inquiries
- Handle and seek resolution to customer complaints
- Provide information about company programs, products, and services
- Provide data to customers requesting to open/close services
- Maintain account or financial records and process payments
- Respond to questions and inquiries in a timely and professional manner