Solar Photovoltaic Technician
Solar photovoltaic technicians work in a variety of capacities relating to solar panels based on their specific position and may be involved in the manufacturing, assembling, installing, or maintenance of solar photovoltaic (PV) systems. This may be for residential installations, private business, or utility scale installations and can be on the ground level or on rooftops.
Also known as: Solar Photovoltaic Installer (Solar PV Installer), Solar Designer, Solar Installer Technician, Solar Technician, Photovoltaic Design Technician
$47,670 in 2021 in U.S.
High School Diploma
80 through 2030 in WA
2,500 through 2031 in U.S.
The career path for a solar photovoltaic technician varies depending on their position. Many start as solar assemblers, an entry-level position with on-the-job training and advance to solar installers. From there, they take a few different routes. They can move up to maintenance specialists and further to fleet managers, or they can move up to system inspectors and further to solar site assessors, or they can move up to PV electrician and further to apprentice electrician and become journey-level electricians.
Training & Requirements
Solar PV Technicians receive on-the-job training for what they will be doing specifically. Techs are able to advance to more skilled positions in the field by acquiring further on-the-job-training and/or further education. The North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) offers training and certifications for those new to the trade as well as skilled professionals and specialists.
- Mechanical aptitude
- Able to work in all weather conditions
- Ability to install equipment, machines, wiring, or programs to meet specifications
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including uses, repair, and maintenance
- Install PV systems in accordance with codes and standards
- Assemble solar modules, panels, or support structures
- Install module array interconnect wiring
- Apply weather sealing to array, building, or support mechanisms