Substation Electricians are journeyman with a working knowledge of substation construction, operation, and maintenance. They are responsible for the installation, repair, testing, adjusting, and troubleshooting of substation equipment. They also install personal protective grounds and perform maintenance of switching equipment. Depending on where they work, they may also work in a variety of areas including house wiring, air-conditioning and heating equipment, supervisory and signal systems, and battery charging equipment.
Also known as: Substation Equipment Technician, Substation Operator Substation Mechanic, Substation Wireman, Electrical Repairer, Electrical Mechanic
$101,270 in 2021 in WA
$93,420 in 2021 in U.S.
High School Diploma, Apprenticeship
20 through 2030 in WA
1,900 through 2031 in U.S.
The career path for becoming a substation electrician begins with a high school diploma and entry-level helper position. Once accepted as an apprentice, you must complete the substation electrician apprenticeship to become a journeyman substation electrician. Advancement opportunities may include foreman and general foreman supervisory positions.
Training & Requirements
Substation electricians must complete the required apprenticeship to become journeymen. Most employers require a high school diploma before beginning an apprenticeship, which typically consists of 6,000 hours of on-the-job training and additional related/supplemental instruction (RSI).
- Microsoft office and communication skills
- Knowledge and proper use of PPE (personal protection equipment)
- Physically able to perform the work of the trade
- Proper use and care of equipment and tools
- Understanding of electricity, AC/DC currents, and national, state, and district codes
- Inspect and test equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects
- Prepare and maintain records detailing tests, repairs, and maintenance
- Diagnose malfunctions and evaluate effects of system modifications
- Open and close switches to isolate defective relays, perform adjustments or repairs